The Dual Incubator, designed for microbiological water monitoring via detection of indicator organisms, (faecal coliforms), for E. coli, cholera, salmonella and other faecal water borne pathogens, is the most popular portable water testing system in the developing world. The Dual Incubator comes with a separate battery back and can test up to 32 samples at once.
The Oxfam-DelAgua Dual Incubator Kit was developed by scientists at the University of Surrey in collaboration with colleagues at Oxfam. It is designed to help provide information about the safety of water supplies in difficult situations or remote areas where laboratory facilities do not exist.
Designed to carry out six basic tests to measure the quality of drinking water, (microbiological quality at two temperatures of incubation, turbidity, free chlorine, total chlorine and pH), the kit is primarily used in the field, but may also be used in a laboratory or other permanent location.
The kit can also be supplied with a range of accessories and upgrades that will increase the scope of your water quality monitoring. It comes in a Pelican Case for easy carrying and durability.
Critical Parameter Tests
The kit will perform the following tests:
Thermo-tolerant (faecal) Coliform Count: The kit includes a portable, battery-powered incubator capable of making five cycles of incubation without mains electricity, generator or vehicle power. Thermo-tolerant (faecal) Coliform counts can be obtained within 14 to 18 hours of sampling giving a reliable indication of sanitary risk without need for transport or laboratory facilities.
Total Coliform Count: Simultaneously to the Thermotolerant Coliform testing, Total Coliform counts can be obtained within 14 to 18 hours of sampling giving a reliable indication of the integrity of a reticulated system or well from ground water ingress without need for transport or laboratory facilities.
Turbidity Test: A measure of the amount of suspended matter in a water supply. Suspended material may consume chlorine disinfectants and require treatment before disinfection.
Chlorine & pH Tests: Many emergency water supplies are dosed with chlorine disinfectant to ensure their safety as drinking water. These tests allow rapid assessment of chlorine levels and aid the efficient control of dosing thereby avoiding waste and ensuring that enough chlorine is present to safeguard the supply.
Other Tests: A conductivity meter can be provided as an optional component of the kit. Conductivity provides an indication of contamination e.g. saline intrusion or sewage pollution. Additional equipment can be included on request to test for chemicals that may be of local importance.
- Dimensions = 34.4 x 14.6 x 29.7cm
- Complete kit weight = 8.75kg
- Battery pack dimensions = 25.1 x 17.8 x 15.5 cm
- Battery pack weight = 10kg
You will need the following items to start testing:
- Pressure cooker or portable steriliser or access to an autoclave e.g. in a hospital.
- Methanol (approx 1 ml per test)
- Distilled water
- 1 litre measuring cylinder or beaker
- Clean Cloths
- 37°C incubator chamber for analysis of Total coliforms (can be calibrated to 44°C for Faecal coliform analysis)
- 44°C incubator chamber for analysis of faecal coliforms (can be calibrated to 37°C for total coliform analysis)
- Dual Incubation can therefore allow 16 samples of two separate temperature conditions OR 32 samples under the same conditions
- Membrane filtration unit using 0.45μm pore size membrane filters
- Can be run from DC power adaptor or the separate external battery pack
- Battery capable of up to 5 runs without recharge
The Kit Includes:
- Dual Incubator in Pelican Case
- Aluminium Gasket
- Bronze Disc x 2
- O-ring x 2
- Silicone Rings x 2
- Vacuum Pump and Cup
- Sample Cup
- 3 sets of 16 re-useable aluminium petri-dishes with strapped housing
- External Battery Pack
- Connector Leads for Battery Pack
- External Battery Power Lead
- Recalibration Incubator Lid
- Incubator Lid without hole x 2
- Battery Charger
- Consumables Pack for 200 plates (see Consumables below for components)
- Filter Funnel
- Digital timer
- Comparator (Chlorine & pH)
- Sterile Pasteur Pipettes (3ml) for easy transfer of media x 10
- Polypropylene bottles x 10
- Methanol Dispenser
- Handheld Magnifier
- Lubrication grease
- Spirit Thermometer (-10 to +50°C)
- Trimmer Tool
- 2-part turbidity tube to measure 5 to 2000 NTU
- Instruction manual in English. (Other languages available, please ask)
- Instructional CD Rom
Each kit provided with a complete pack of consumables for 200 plates, comprising of:
- Membrane Filters and Pads x 200
- Pad Dispenser
- Culture Medium 38.1g
- DPD No.1 Tablets x 250
- DPD No.3 Tablets x 250
- Phenol Red Tablets x 250
Replacement parts, consumables & spares available, please contact us for a quotation.